1st place Rhubarb Pie Division winner in 2006
- 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup+1 tablespoon minute tapioca
- 1/2 of a 12-1/2 oz. can Solo Almond Cake and Pastry Filling (not almond paste)-about 1/2 cup total
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pastry for double-crust pie. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the pastry dough into a 12-inch circle. Line a 2-inch deep pie plate with the pastry. In a large bowl stir together the sugar, cornstarch, almond filling, lemon juice, nutmeg and salt. Stir in rhubarb and strawberries.
Transfer mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Dot filling with butter. Roll out remaining pasty to a 12-inch circle. Cut pastry in strips, place on filling and seal.
Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes, then lower temperature to 375 degrees F and bake an additional 45 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of baking, quickly brush top with egg what and sprinkle with almonds. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Rhubarb, rhubarb pie, rhubarb dessert
Show All Recipes